Tuesday, January 26, 2016

POC Academy Award Winners and Nominees

Hello, readers!

I'll be the first to admit, I used to follow Oscar season semi-religiously - I tried to see every movie nominated, pre-printed and pre-predicted the official ballot, and spent all of Oscar night glued to my TV. But in recent years, as I've become more aware of racism and sexism in the film industry, I've put less importance on following the popular films and their related awards.

With the controversy this year around the all-white list of nominees - check out this article on Forbes for more context - I've decided to make this post about the POC actors and actresses who've won or been nominated.


Please let me know in the comments if I've missed any names! I'm using Wikipedia and Google to research. And an * indicates a winner. 

Best Actress First Names 

Dorothy
Diana
Cicely
Diahann
Whoopi
Angela
Halle *
Gabourey
Viola
Quvenzhané
Merle
Fernanda
Salma
Catalina

Best Actor First Names

Sidney *
James
Paul
Dexter
Morgan
Denzel *
Laurence
Will
Jamie *
Don
Terrence
Forest *
Chiwetel
Yul *
Ben *
Edward
José *
Anthony
Demián
Dan
Graham

Best Supporting Actress First Names

Hattie *
Ethel
Juanita
Carol
Beah
Alfre
Margaret
Oprah
Whoopi *
Marianne
Dana (Queen Latifah)
Sophie
Jennifer *
Ruby
Viola
Taraji
Mo'Nique *
Octavia *
Lupita *
Miyoshi *
Meg
Jennifer
Shohreh
Rinko
Hailee
Susan
Rita *
Mercedes *
Rosie
Katy
Norma
Adriana
Bérénice

Best Supporting Actor First Names

Rupert
Howard
Louis *
Adolph
Morgan *
Denzel *
Jaye
Samuel
Cuba *
Michael
Djimon
Jamie
Eddie 
Barkhad
Sessue
Mako
Pat
Haing *
Ben
Ken
Thomas
José
Anthony *
Andy
Benicio *

1 comment:

  1. I'm disappointed in the Oscars but not surprised, which is pretty sad. I was pleasantly surprised about the Carol nominations though, and they seem to be the only good thing that's come out of it this year. But onto the names! So many good ones.

    Halle
    Viola
    Merle
    Fernanda
    Ruby
    Octavia
    Meg
    Shohreh
    Rinko
    Mercedes
    Bérénice

    Morgan
    Forest
    Yul
    Anthony
    Rupert
    Louis
    Samuel
    Thomas
    Anthony
    Benicio

    ReplyDelete